Sunday, February 2, 2014

Fresh Garden Tomatoes

My husband and I are fairly recently new homeowners, and are greatly loving all the freedoms we now have. I won't go into the details, but our living situation before this was quite different. We now have more space for things than we hardly know what to do with, more privacy, more freedom... and we truly are appreciating every aspect of it. I am especially loving the fact that I can finally make where I'm living a home. I've been dreaming of creating a space of my own, a space that reflects who I am- and of course who we are as a family-  since at least junior high school. We certainly still have a lot to do, but it is a joyful and rewarding process!

gold picture frame, gold pinecones, babuska

I really enjoy cooking and baking- mostly just cooking these days. And making chocolate- but I'll save that for a later post. I'm nervous to cook for other people because I know people's tastes vary greatly (mostly outside of the 'I could eat pizza all day long' crowd). My husband thinks I do very well, so this wife is happy.

raised bed, raised beds, garden, tomatoes

One of the countless things we were really excited about when we chose our home was that it already has raised garden beds. We were thrilled when we moved to find we had bushes FILLED filled small tomatoes.

I was very excited to make... whatever you would call this. Tomato topping? It isn't exactly a sauce...
tomatoes, coconut oil, cooking, sauce, olive oil, gardening
 This is in the beginning stages. 

To melted coconut oil,  I add tomatoes, salt and perhaps basil, oregano... on low heat for as long as it takes to become slightly blistered and for the juices to thicken a bit. Once it is the texture and consistency I like, I turn off the heat. The final touch is olive oil, of course, and a splash of aged, thick, sweet, balsamic vinegar.

tomatoes, coconut oil, cooking, sauce, olive oil, gardening, nutritious food
I think I put it over potatoes and brown rice here. And probably added extra olive oil and just a bit of finishing freshly ground sea salt.

We thought it was absolutely delicious, and truly enjoyed it especially after long days of moving and unpacking.


What do you enjoy most about independent living? Do you like to garden? What are your favorite vegetables and seasonings? Any idea where I can find that delicious thick, sweet, aged balsamic vinegar again? :)

I hope you have a beautiful day :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment