Friday, June 5, 2015

Hasselback Potatoes


Although I'm not particularly inclined to thank it for 15 lb weight gain, I do appreciate that dipping my toes into the world of High Carb, Low Fat Veganism inspired an expansion of my culinary experiments. Information about the High Carb Low Fat (HCLF) lifestyle here (freelee and Raw till 4) and here. 

Although my slices aren't perfect, I admire the irregularity. As the always perfect Nigella Lawson says, imperfections such as the accidental lemon seed in a cake "prove it is homemade."  Just be careful not to let the knife go all the way through, unless you decide you are specifically in the mood for chips! 
As I didn't have the time to let the potatoes roast for over an hour as indicated in the recipe HERE I first steamed them. I consider these medium sized, so I believe I steamed them for about 15-20 minutes. 
Carefully take out of pan and place on roasting dish (or cookie sheet if you're like me and haven't wanted to 'splurge' on a roasting pan yet, when a cookie sheet will do! Even if it does get a bit warped...). I brushed with liquid coconut oil and filled the incisions with various herbs and spices. Rosemary, dill and garlic are some favorites. If you want to ensure they are a bit soft, keep them covered with aluminum foil for the first half of the baking time. These turned out quite crispy on the outside, but still a bit fluffy on the inside. 
I very much enjoyed tearing off a medallion and dipping into copious amounts of ketchup. (Yes yes I know, Scott Conant would be disguisted.)

What are your favorite herb and spice toppings?
 

17 comments: