Saturday, June 20, 2015

Chia Juice Recipe


I love the Synergy Enlightened Chia Kombucha drinks- but at $2.99- $3.99 from the grocery store, it is quite an expensive treat. (It is still less expensive than my usual Starbucks latte though!) They have a refreshing light sweetness due to the juice, a slight tang from the kombucha, and chia seeds that help keep you hydrated. Chia seeds are also filled with fiber and are a good source of protein, magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, manganese, and healthy fats- especially omega-3s!

I realized I could easily make a similar drink- although without the kombucha. Many people love to make their own kombucha at home, but that is not something I'm interested in accomplishing right now.

I saved several glasses to reuse, and now I always have a few in the fridge ready to take with me when I go out. I usually start to get hungry maybe an hour or so later, and having one of these ready in the car is a great replacement for the coconut milk, hazelnut-flavored  lattes I often like to treat myself to. I'm certainly not ready to completely giving them up, but having one of these ready in the car to satiate me is a more healthful (and far less expensive!) alternative.

Healthy, inexpensive chia juice recipe with omega-3 inspired by Synergy Kombucha
  •  Fill the glass with water about the the "S" of Synergy, where the straight part of the top of the label is (not the top peak).
  • Pour 2 to 3 Tablespoons of chia seeds into the glass. (I have to use a funnel I made out of paper and tape!)  

Chia seeds can be messy little things- make sure they don't get any drops of water on them before you add them to the water, or you will have a bit of a hard time trying to clean them up. Due to their water-absorbing properties, they become the texture of jelly.

  • Close the glass tightly, and give it a good shaking. Put it in the fridge (or not) for a few hours to let the seeds soak up some of the water. If you can think of it, occasionally give it another shake randomly throughout those few hours.
  • After a few hours, the seeds should mostly have done all the absorbing they are going to do. Pick your favorite juice and fill to the top. 

For your health, please make sure the juice you are choosing is, indeed, JUICE! Read the ingredients. If it has any added sugar or 'natural flavors' it is NOT pure juice. I usually like to buy from the Knudsen brand with is sold at Kroger's/Fred Meyer. Some of their juices are organic. I don't always buy organic and I definitely take into consideration the price differences among the various juices. I am aware many of these are still from concentrate, but they are a far better option that many of the mainstream 'juices' you will find. My favorite juices to buy are pear, cherry and cranberry. 

  • Add a few drops of stevia (I have bought this one many times) if the juice is too tart. This is completely optional- I find that the cherry juice I usually buy is extremely tart.
  • Give it another good shake, and leave in the fridge a perfect to-go snack!  

  • Optional- to give this juice a bit of an acidic kick to mimic the flavor of kombucha, add a splash of raw apple cider vinegar. Although it is an acid, it has an alkalizing effect in the body. This is important because most people are far too acidic due largely to poor diet choices, which contributes to problems such as acne, indigestion, and headaches. You can find out more benefits of raw apple cider vinegar here and here. Many people like to drink a shot or two of straight apple cider vinegar in an empty stomach in the morning to help jump start smooth digestion for the rest of the day, or have a shot after dinner. Make sure it is raw to get the full benefits!

chia, kombucha, synergy, recipe, juice, healthy, omega 3
What are your favorite juice flavors? Can you see yourself using this as a light snack to help replace other, perhaps not-so-good options?

No comments:

Post a Comment