Friday, June 12, 2015

Green Juice: Celery, Orange and Ginger



 

green juice, celery, orange, ginger, detox

Glowing, green hydration. Isn't it beautiful?

I've been on a quest to help my liver function as well as possible. In addition to buying all the 'detox' teas I can get my hands on (or find on clearance at TJ Maxx...) I am also juicing more frequently. Now, I'm not talking about those 'get skinny' detox teas, I'm talking about the ones that have ingredients that truly support the liver. Some of these ingredients are: milk thistle, dandelion root, licorice root.

I fill a tall mug with boiling water, 2 (usually different) tea bags, cover it with a teacup saucer and let steep for 10-15 minutes to get the full benefits. I've been enjoying sipping on this purifying tea while reading on our porch, which is gloriously peaceful in the mornings.

Back to the juice...

Foods that are especially beneficial to the liver are:
  • turmeric and ginger
  • garlic and onion 
  • beetroot
  • parsley
  • apples
  • all citrus- lemon, lime, grapefruit, oranges
  • all cruciferous- brussels sprouts, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower
  • bitter leafy greens- dandelion, endive, chicory, rocket/arugula

This juice is simply made of an entire bunch of celery, a nub of ginger and an orange. It was delicious! Add more ginger if you dare- I personally only like a bit, but add as much as I can handle for the health benefits. I use this juicer- it seemed to me like the best option for the smallest price. Slow juicers are much better though- someday I will be excited to own this one!

Is drinking a green juice or detox tea going to make you superhuman?
No.

Are you guaranteed to never get sick if you drink a green juice every morning?
No.

But any time you can make a decision that is GOOD for your body is ... good! Your body will thank you. If you can make yourself a juice in the morning to get yourself going, it is immeasurably more beneficial to all the cells performing the necessary functions in your body than a cup of coffee. (I'm not discriminating against coffee/espresso here- one of my favorite treats is a hazelnut flavored latte!) Just make smarter decisions every chance you can.

green juice, celery, orange, ginger, detox

No comments:

Post a Comment